Thursday, September 16, 2010

Repurposing my purpose remember?

A few weeks ago I mentioned that I was reflecting on exactly what I wanted out of this trip. As the date gets closer, it seems to be getting clearer.

I want to be a traveller, not a tourist.

This means that I want to take the time to engage with the local people. To listen to their stories, take part in their activities. This means that I may not have time to visit 'touristy' landmarks, it may even mean that I won't be able to take as many pictures as I had originally promised friends and family.

And that's ok. Because what I want is to experience India, not see India.

The beauty of this blog is that I can describe and share these experiences as they happen, in written form, without having to subject the locals to further marginalization by 'objectifying' them with my camera.

Woah...Deep.

1 comment:

  1. I see that not much has changed since I was there more than 3 years ago. It is a tough place to travel in but it will never leave you. I often think of India and I feel a real pull to go back. I will. Take care.

    Jean

    ReplyDelete