Wednesday, October 20, 2010

A beautiful culture!

Yesterday evening we were invited by the students of Gujurat University in Ahmedabad to attend their traditional Garba dance for teh closing of the Navrati festival. So we put on our best Indian attire, and went for an evening of dancing with the local students.

Aside from the humid temperature of what was probably 35 degrees, it was a magical night. The students took us by the hand, brought us into the circle and showed us the traditional Gujurati dance steps. I have to say, that although I have never sweat so much in my entire life, I danced the night away with my new friends.

The traditional attire was astounding. The colours, the music, my senses were blown away by this colourful and joyous culture. It made me envious actually.
Never have I ever felt so welcome and accepted as part of the group by people who seem so different than me on the surface. It turns out, we aren't so different after all. Together, we laughed and we danced.

Oh, I might also add, that I took home best dancer award! Pictures to come soon!

Today, we left our friends from Ahmedabad behind and flew to India's southern state Goa. It's late, I'm tired and sweaty (again), and i am looking forward to a good night's sleep.

Let the adventures in Goa begin!

1 comment:

  1. I am so happy to hear that you danced the night away! I am excited to see more pictures.

    ReplyDelete