Saturday, October 16, 2010

They told me so...

A few people kept telling me before I left that after a week or so I would fall in love with India. I kept wondering why this was so? Why did one need to be here for a while before seeing the beauty?

Now I think I understand. The cultural shock of travelling to India for the first time takes over your senses in the beginning. The constant noise, the smell, the sight of blatant poverty -- it overwhelmes your being and your experience.

However, as horrible as this sounds, over time you become desensitized. Over time, you notice the beauty of the land, you appreciate the history, the art, and you experience first hand the spirit and richness of the culture.

This is where I am in my journey.

2 comments:

  1. I'm envious.

    Keep blogging- it's fascinating.

    Jean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps it's not desensitization but rather acceptance and with acceptance comes the ability to embrace.

    Maybe this is where your journey truly begins.

    I'm relieved you are adjusting.

    Please keep posting the photographs, I love seeing what you're experiencing.

    ReplyDelete