Sunday, October 10, 2010

The beauty awaits, I hope

I am now 3 days into my stay in India, and I am conflicted to say that I have yet to see the beauty that I have been told about by so many.

Today we made our way to the market that so many people told me about. Our experience at the market was marked by the many, many children beggars that came to ask us for money. They were so young, and walked through traffic to come to us.We were apparent, even from hundreds of feet away -- they saw us.

On our way to the market a boy, not more than 6 years old came to our window. He had a mustache painted on his face with a 10 written on his forehead. He came to the side of the car and started doing cartwheels in the middle of a busy road. Then he came to rest his outstretched hand on our window. My friend couldn't take it anymore and put 2 rupees in his hand. "Ten rupees", he said. Of course, it was written on his forehead for us. She pulled out her money and gave him 50 rupees without hesitation.

The minute he left the side of the car, 2, 3, 4 more children lined up beside us. We couldn't give more, and the look on their faces was utter despair.

Everywhere I have looked in Mumbai I have seen poverty and disparity. Below a Porsche car lot lay the homeless.

Perhaps this is Mumbai only? I am hoping that my future travels to Ahmnedabad and Goa will allow me to see the beauty that is India.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous said...

    I see that not much has changed since I was there more than 3 years ago. It is a tough place to travel in but it will never leave you. I often think of India and I feel a real pull to go back. I will. Take care.

    Jean

    ReplyDelete